Pages

Tuesday 5 January 2021

St Dunstan's Church, Middlesex

 St Dunstan's Church, Cranford, Middlesex

Visited May 2019

It's ages since I visited this church, and I've only just remembered to dig out the photos. Situated by a busy road, on a western section of the London Loop, is this lovely little church with a wealth of history. When I visited - while walking the Loop - I was fortunate to find a volunteer guide waiting to show me round. I mean, she wasn't waiting for me particularly, but there were no other visitors so I had her to myself.

The church used to be part of the Cranford Estate, and is near to the stable blocks (very little else remains of the buildings)Inside there are some wonderful monuments which you might not expect in a little parish church which seems so unassuming from the outside. But this was once owned by the Knights Templar and then the Knights Hospitalier, before being manorial land. My favourite is possibly that of Elizabeth, Lady Berkeley (died 1635) who is depicted lying beneath the memorial tablet in her shroud. 

Out in the churchyard are a number of gravestones, including some memento mori and (although I managed to miss it...) a memorial to the late, great, comedian Tony Hancock. 

If it wasn't for the constant sounds of the nearby motorway and Heathrow airport, this would seem an idyllic country church and if you find yourself in this area you really must visit!


The Aston Tomb

Memorial to Elizabeth, Lady Berkeley
Memorial to William Smythe










No comments:

Post a Comment